CATHOLIC BROAD COOKS

I found myself with my head stuck inside our new fancy fridge the other day, a common-enough occurrence in this house. I think my husband thinks I am like one of those half-horses that you used to see in Shakespearean plays, with just my butt sticking out covered by blue apron ties. (Thank you, Blue Apron!)

For once I did not have a Green Chef or Blue Apron order to cook, and it happened to be a Friday, which we Catholics know is a meatless day. I pulled open the two vegetable bins, stuffed rather haphazardly with various things, and I took out: 4 Roma tomatoes, 1 beefcake tomato, half a yellow onion, half a red pepper, and one fresh zucchini, or "marrow" if you prefer. I proceeded to chop, inventing this recipe as I went:

--Preheat oven to 425 degrees: get out sharp knife and cutting board; line a big sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper.  Make 2 cups of good quality chicken broth; I use "Better Than Bouillon."


--slice zucchini in half horizontally; lay on cutting board and cut into half-rounds about 1/4" thick;
--slice onion from top to bottom into thick 1-2" slices (I recently learned that slicing an onion this way is more flavorful than slicing it into rounds across);
--slice Roma tomatoes in half & meaty tomato in half;
--cut red pepper (or yellow or orange) from top to bottom into 1/2" wide pieces;
--take 6-8 garlic cloves and wrap in aluminum foil, or wrap a smaller, whole head of garlic.

Spread all of the veggies on your pan--they will be touching. Sprinkle with olive oil (EVOO), pepper, and good salt. Roast for 30-35 min., checking on the garlic to make sure it's not overdone. Take out and cool on top of stove.

Once cool, squeeze garlic out of their skins first onto a cutting board. Take veggies, garlic mash, and whirl in processor or strong blender. Add chicken bouillon, a handful of fresh basil leaves, some salt pepper. Pour into a heavy pot on top of stove and heat over low-medium heat for around 15 min. to develop flavors. Sometimes I throw a little za-atar into it as well. Did I spell that right? Who cares! We've got homemade soup to eat.

Serve with garlic croutons if you wish, or without; a fresh green salad, bread, and wine. Enjoy!


Comments

Popular Posts