CATHOLIC BROAD BAKES & ADAPTS A RECIPE!

Even though I've been awake from between 2:00 a.m.-3:00 a.m. today (was it the two glasses of Chardonnay I had with friends last night?), I felt sugar calling me. ("Annnn....you need me!") Then butter chimed in, ("Anniieee...come here, babe, and feast on my smooth deliciousness!"). Butter has a smooth, low tone, like a loving grandmother. Brown sugar is mellow, not too demanding, but white sugar sounds like a crisp English schoolmarm demanding obedience, ("Annie, pull up your socks and cook!").

Being an obedient broad and a foodie, I pulled out Sara Forte's wonderful cookbook, "The Sprouted Kitchen" to look at healthy cookies, even though that might be an oxymoron, like "military intelligence." Then a wave of tiredness swept over me (Damn that chemo!), and I put the cookbook down, pausing to gnaw on some unsweetened baking chocolate. It is a good remedy for fatigue, I find.

But, the b..ch of it is, once I start THINKING about food, it's like fooling with a Ouija board (No, I don't do that, I'm Catholic) that sucks you into its devilish presence.  The sugars, butter, and now some organic eggs chimed in, calling to me quite loudly. ("Get up off the couch, broad, and start cooking!")

So, having tweaked and fidgeted with this recipe and with a polite nod in Sara Forte's direction for inspiring me, I also want to warn total GF folks that this is not entirely gluten-free, but is certainly low-gluten. Spelt flour is a more ancient form of wheat and appears to be more easily digested.

TO BEGIN: swig some tea, or wine if it's later and get out a large bowl. Grease two cookie sheets and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

TAKE:
--2 eggs beaten thoroughly with a whisk
--4 tablespoons of softened butter, preferably Irish
--1/2 cup brown sugar
--1/2 cup white sugar
--1 tsp. of vanilla.

BEAT the softened butter, then add the 2 sugars, vanilla, and 2 eggs
ADD:

--3/4 cup almond meal
--1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
--1/2 cup spelt flour
--1/2 cup organic white flour
--1 tsp. baking powder
--1/2 tsp. baking soda

and mix thoroughly. Gently add 1/2 cup Ghiradelli's dark chocolate chips and 1/3 cup sweetened, shredded coconut.

Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  Bake at 350 for 10+ min. until your finger depresses surface of cookie slightly. Cool, and damn it, ENJOY! You deserve something sweet, also crunchy, with a hint of healthiness in the spelt flour and oatmeal. Remove that nagging Fitbit which is making you feel guilty, make a cup of espresso, and take two warm cookies to eat while you read a wonderful mystery on the couch. I am currently in the Charles Lenox series set in England in the mid-19th century; a reasonable amount of tension, great sense of place, good characters, and not too much blood. Also lots of fog, tea, whiskey, hansom cabs, and elaborate clothing. 

And let me know, please, how this recipe works out for you.

Comments

Popular Posts