CATHOLIC DAMES ODDITIES--LIES & DISLIKES


You will notice that the word "Easter" is not in this blog, and I suppose that is a failing--perhaps a Catholic failing--of mine. But Easter is SO portentous; Maundy Thursday is so laden with meaning; and Holy Saturday is so revelatory and mind-boggling (not to mention gobsmacked) that I cannot cope with it right now. My personal life is too full of changes, some good, some slightly sad, and I am using all of my spoons (remember to check out "the spoon theory" by Christine Miserandino, totally brilliant for anyone with any chronic illness, cancer recovery, or being neuro-atypical) to just keep my balance. Perhaps some really good Malbec from Argentina would help, and my cooking, of course, and Alina's Restaurant.



So, here is a list of my odd DISLIKES:

--Mangos--they have a weird, bitter aftertaste that makes my mouth pucker, like persimmons--
--anchovies--I know they have umami, but I loathe them, besides they are so damn tiny and swimmy-looking--
--turnips, mashed or otherwise--
--pineapple Hawain pizza--(how do you spell Hawain?)--
--raisin sauce on ham--
--pickled herring (my husband loves it, being Swedish)--
--unkind people & egotists--
--Trump, of course, Bolton, Pence, and anyone else who has come into close contact with him and been infected--
--acute moralism of any church--
--intolerance and non-acceptance for trans* folks, queer people, and anyone in the LGBTQ community--
--pushy people--
--racism--
--people who cannot forgive--
--people who can't spell "you're" and say "your" (ok, I am a former English major and intolerant about some things).

Here is my list of LIKES:

--people in my UCC Congo in Haydenville who are accepting, welcoming, and "get" what being different is like--
--people in my Catholic congregation who Pass the Peace to me (this could be my favorite part of Mass), comment nicely on my singing voice, wave happily, and remember the words to the Nicene Creed--
--my family, both my two brothers (how blessed am I to have had them accompany me on my cancer journey, pause for a nose blow), my eldest son, my younger son, and my husband of 51 years--I could not have come this far without you--(& cousins!)

--my internet women friends who are spiritual, funny, snarky, and I just love, though I have never met you--
--most dogs, especially our deceased Standard Poodle, "Candy," and our current Jack, Nita, who is our therapy dog--
--the Eucharist (I realize this list is all over the map)--
--Amanda--my advisor in all things re. chemo & support--
--sourdough bread--
--home cooking--
--Baystate Hospital and my fabulous surgeons, along with everyone I came into contact with--NURSES!!!
--being in recovery and regaining energy--
--chatting at the store--
--a manicure from my favorite lady- & Herdis hairdresser--
--neighbors--
--geese, great blue herons, turkey vultures, hawks, falcons, any song bird, coyotes howling, black bears, foxes, minks, & chipmunks.

Ok, there are more on this list and you know who you are. I am so blessed to be surrounded by loving people and blessed to have enough "spoons" in my soul to love others. I am blowing a kiss to everyone! Oh, and especially Joe Biden.

Comments

Popular Posts