FOODING WHILE DRIVING--NEW DANGER



I was going to call this, "Hot Mama Eats Hot Food," but that doesn't quite sit well. It sounds both self-congratulatory as well as not accurate. It is hard to be "hot" at the age of 72 when one is still at end of recovery and taking gabapentin, which can and often does lead to flatulence. So let's segue to another topic, something that came up a few days ago as I was driving back from an insanely gorgeous concert by my brother's step-daughter at the UU in Noho. I kind of lost my focus driving as I wondered--WHAT IN HELL AM I GOING TO MAKE FOR SUPPER TONIGHT? And this new tiny problem of mine I am calling, "Fooding While Driving."

Those of you who are close to me know that like some Christians who worry excessively about the sin load in their soul ("scrupulosity," a Catholic term), I tend to think obsessively about food. Not fret, not worry, but more like telling my rosary beads, one after another.

So while driving, I begin to get distracted as I think:

--Supper could be meat, though I'm not really into meat right now. (Bead 1)
--Could raid the veggie drawer--got some bellas & red peppers, and don't forget the problano pepper. (Bead 2)
--I got me some fresh Rosemary from the market in the fridge if I want to make pasta. (Bead 3)
--Better make some caramelized onions, they'd go well with anything except granola and oatmeal. (Bead 4)
--I have defrosted cod in the fridge, could do Fish Tacos. (Bead 5)
--I got limes for whatever. (Bead 6)

See, thinking about supper and food is like praying. Totally.

I'll see if I can transform my pic from iPhone to the computer. My son can do it without breaking a sweat. Me? Not so easily. But it's fun as I have learned how to do "Layout" and put together more than 1 pic at a time. Did not work. *sigh*

But while I am fussing with this, let me give you the first of my "Hot Mama" recipes.


                    SPICY MEXICAN TOSTADAS (serves 2)

Ingredients: (inspired by Blue Apron recipe)

--8 oz. chopped bellas, 1" size (1 cuip+)
--1 cup thinly-sliced onion (red or yellow)
--2 fat chopped garlic cloves
--1 green plobano pepper, thinly sliced lengthwise
--1/2 cup full-fat Greek yogurt
--1 lime, zested, then cut in quarters
--2 tablespoons grated cheddar
--2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more as needed
--4 corn tortillas; can use flexible or crispy ones
--2 tablespoons honey/goat cheese
--balsamic vinegar reduction
--Mexican spice blend (can use McCormick's or make own with: 1 tsp. red pepper flakes; 1 tsp. smoked paprika; 2 tsps. chili powder; 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper; & 1 tsp. garlic powder. Mix well and store in glass jar with top.)

To Make:

1/ After zesting lime in small bowl, mix zest with Greek yogurt and let it sit to absorb flavors.
2/ Heat olive oil in non-stick pan, or I prefer med. sized black cast iron pan: sizzle onions and problano pepper until soft; add mushrooms and chopped garlic, cook about 8 min. over medium heat.  Add 1 tablespoon Mexican Spice blend, dash of balsamic reduction, and stir for 1/2 min.  Add squeezed juice of 2 lime quarters.
3/ Warm tortillas in microwave for 3 min. (wrapped loosely in plastic wrap) or heat in oven, 375, wrapped in foil for 10 min.
4/ Fill tortillas with sauteed filling, sprinkle cheese on top, add goat's cheese, and put 1 tablespoon+ of lime crema on top. Serve with lime quarters on side & Louisiana Hot Sauce for those who like it spicier.


And here's the second one for hot summer weather:

                    SPICY FISH TACOS (adapted from "Myrecipes")

Ingredients: Serves two hungry adults

Crema:  
--1/ cup chopped fresh cilantro
--3 tablespoons 2% Greek yogurt
--3 tablespoons low-fat mayo
--zested lime
--1& 1/2 tsp. fresh lime juice
--1 minced garlic clove (or smashed)
Mix ingredients thoroughly and set aside.
Rest of Ingredients:

--1/2 lb. cod
--1/2 cup milk in a bowl
--1/2cup flour mixed with Mexican seasonings (see recipe for Mexican tostadas above), & salt & pepper
--2 tablespoons olive oil or canola
--3 whole wheat tortillas, soft (or can use crispy corn)
--one sliced avodado
--tablespoon Bruschetta to top each tacos
--1 caramelized yellow onion, medium size (See earlier blog post, 3/14/18 for instructions)
--Louisiana hot sauce (I favor "Crystal") or Shriracha

To Make:
1/ Dip cod in milk, rolls in seasoned flour, and fry gently in oil in non-stick pan for about 3 minutes per side, until flaky. Remove from pan and put on paper toweling.
2/ Sautee sliced onions until caramelized, about 20 min.
3/ Warm tortillas (wrapped loosely in aluminum foil) for ten min. in a 350 oven, or wrap in paper towels & warm in microwave.

Assemble:

--lay warm tortilla on plate, and fold loosely in half, hold with 1 hand.
--place cooked fish at the bottom.
--layer sliced avocado, then caramelized onions
--scoop bruschetta on top
--end with crema. If want it hotter, sprinkle hot sauce on top.
ENJOY!

Good with an IPA beer, something light, or good with a crisp, oaked Chardonnay.


                    








Comments

Popular Posts