WHAT TO DO WHEN YOUR CHURCH LEAVES YOU BEHIND?



      Like many Catholics I know, I struggle with my faith. I arm-wrestle with the horrendous sex abuse scandal, which frankly, is not done yet. Not sure it will ever be done. After the revelations from  Pennsylvania with horrific, graphic details of Priests' behavior, I wondered how I could go on. HOW could I continue to cross the threshold of a church which would damage children for life as well as tear down its own moral authority, especially as someone who had been sexually molested as a young child?

 


     How can I continue to put money into the collection box when--"aside from" the abuse of minors--this church continued to support Trump for 4 years: the most misogynist, racist, homophobic, unpro-life president in history? Also the most corrupt. And a man who cares nothing for children, immigrants, or creation. I mean, our Pope, has written an Encyclical, Laudato Si, praising creation, recognizing it as coming from the hands of God, and telling us to do whatever we can to keep this wonderful earth healthy. It is God's child.


 

   I disagree with our church on the issue of abortion. I know this is a hot point for many Catholics; I absolutely "get" how folks see this as "murder," even when I disagree. Back in the 10th century, a time of great flourishing in Islam, the teaching was that a child did not have a soul until actual birth. I know many would disagree with this, but it is an interesting point to consider. I was in college in the 1960s, knew 2 young women who had unplanned pregnancies, and were flown to Japan to have abortions. Obviously, their families had means. Other women went to backstreet abortionists. Some died. The fallacy in our church is thinking that making abortion illegal will stop it. Women will ALWAYS have abortions. They always have and always will. Let's make it rare, safe, and legal, as President Obama once said. And remember that the women most hurt by a ban on abortions are poor black women.


 


    Also, as the proud mom of a thriving trans son, (Google image)


 I get very fired up about the Catholic Church's position on the LGBTQ community.
You don't have to go against the church's teaching on same-sex marriage--although I do--but at the very least, WELCOME folks from this community. Make them feel at home in our church. Extend a hand. Start a book group discussing Fr. Martin's wonderful, "Building a Bridge," which discusses how the church can listen better to the LGBTQ community, and how this community can also listen more to the church. And the recent Dubium and Reprobium from the very conservative Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF) on priests not being able to bless a same-sex marriage, also extending that to the sinfulness of such partnerships, just about did me in. As we know, the suicide hotlines always light up after statements like these. How many young ones are hurt unto despair by this?


 Honestly. I lose hope sometimes. I won't even GET into ordaining Women Deacons (which we now know from early Christian paintings and sculpture did exist). Even Pope Francis has supported same-sex civil unions. He does not support a sacramental marriage within the church, but this is a good first step.

     I weep tears for the continual missteps of our church, its Bishops, and hierarchy. That is why I also attend a local UCC church with a radical welcome for marginalized folks from all communities, gender identities, sexual orientation, class, and more.


 But I continue to dip into Daily Mass on a live FB-feed, which is nourishing, most of the time, although some more recent posts from our parish have worried me with their very conservative content. I am truly struggling with whether I can continue to attend Mass and/or identify as Catholic anymore. Time will tell. In the meantime, let's all continue to observe our faith--whatever it is and wherever it puts us--and to be kind, generous, and compassionate during this hard, hard time.

n.b.: if you wish to leave a post please do so, but not an angry or disrespectful one, and I will vet it as admin of this site and then post it. Also please keep comments to 5-6 lines top.

Comments

  1. Annie, this is a very powerful piece! it must be awful and wrenching to have to consider leaving this church, which, despite its myriad shortcomings, has provided hope and solace for decades. Of course, the shortcomings are wrenching, as well. No easy answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Nick. It is wrenching, and there are no easy answers here. I told Andrea I'll have to see on what shore I wash up! And Michael, for some reason I tried posting your comment (maybe problem with length?), and it disappeared. So sorry! However I appreciated your insights and thoughtfulness in responding. Again, no easy answers. The Pope needs to figure out where he stands on this issue, as do we all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read something new in a recent "America Magazine," about a woman who attended R. Rohr's "Living Truth School." In a talk by Cynthia Bourgeoult, when asked why she had not left the church she replied, "I try to enlarge my heart to contain the struggle." This went deep into my heart, and is true for relationships, politics, marriages, friendships, and so much more.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts