STILL HOLDING MY BREATH

    If you are at all like me (and God help you if you are), you have been mentally, spiritually, and sometimes physically holding your breath. For weeks. Months. Years. And especially since January 6th. What a time, eh my peeps? 


My older brother was part of a group--perhaps at the UU?--talking about what to do if Trump pulled a coup. Well he did. And it was almost a blood-bath according to what I have been reading in the NY Times and in the Washington Post. There were brave people getting the vulnerable into safety, heroes, all, just as there were traitors trying to pull down the government. 


As Dan Rather recently said, we have never seen this kind of political violence over the transition of power before in this country. Assassinations, just to keep our hand in in the violent mode.

But sheesh! I thought, once Biden and Harris (YAY!) were elected, that I could breathe easier, that my weird nervous throat clearing would stop, and that hope would dog my footsteps. And to a certain extent, that did happen. We were happy. For a bit. 


We were exultant when the Dems took Georgia (thank you, Stacey Abrams, and all the volunteers who got the vote out), and then the Capitol insurrection blew up. I estimate we had about 3-4 hours of real happiness there. Sigh.

I do not think I will breathe deeply until noon two days from now, Wednesday, January 20th. Doesn't that date have a lovely sound? Jeffo at our UCC church could probably write a grand jazz song to it. But until then, I am going to possess my soul in patience, walk miles on our deck when I am able, listen to some Bach and Mariah Carey (they were related, didn't you know? On the mother's side.), cook up a storm, pray, read Give Us This Day (Catholic daily readings), and whatever works to calm this nervous soul. I wish my older son, Ben, were here just for a bit so he could play the drums so furiously in our cellar. That would definitely help. Or, as his jazz band teacher told him way back in High School, as they prepared to play "Sing, Sing, Sing," "Be merciful, Ben." He wasn't. It was fast and furious. Happy times.


 

 

So, whatever you need to do to help you get through the next two days, do it. Short of drinking too much, getting stoned, driving too fast, or whatever stupid things we all did when much younger. The world will feel so much brighter come Wednesday noon. Biden will jump on the vaccine production ; he will invoke the DPA to get all of the parts we need to get the vaccine into people's arms. And Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor will swear in Vice-President Kamala Harris. Take that, you damn white supremacists!! 


 If you want to leave a comment, please do! It will not appear right away as I have to vet it as admin of this site. Also, for fun, go to YouTube and upload "Sing Sing Sing," which I was surprised to learn was a Benny Goodman piece!

Comments

Popular Posts