HOW TO BE A BLESSING

I've been thinking a lot about blessings in my life--people who are blessings to me, sacred places that spread calm over me and strengthen my heart, memories that bring blessings into my soul, and so much more. So much abundance in my life.

At Mass this past weekend, where we celebrate the Assumption of Mary into Heaven


 (something this former Protestant has had to stretch her mind around), one of the readings spoke of the blessing of peace, which struck my heart.

 I want--I mean, I REALLY REALLY WANT to be a blessing to others. You who know me and my history know that I have suffered--as so many of you have!--and been through really dark times. But always there were people to lean on, folks who shared their courage with me as if it were a golden vessel held out which I could sip from and feel that burning courage go through my body--you know who you are.


 Fr. Bill for one, Rev.Andrea! People who listened to me on the phone as I cried and sobbed and sniveled, and my cuz who said, "You will get through this, Annie, you will." And knowing she had gone through a similar hard time, those words flew into my heart and took a seat there. I got such courage from them and still do.

 Honestly, if you have a friend or family member suffering now, instead of offering solutions, going on the internet and looking up their condition (I am SO damn guilty of this!), and trying to solve their problem ('cause it makes us feel so good to do that), just say, "You will get through this. I believe in you. I believe in your life." Even if the ending is not what we had hoped.

 I think that's what Jesus did when he healed the blind man, Bartimaeus,


 and when he healed the crippled man by the blessed gates where people went down to dip in the healing waters after an angel stirred the water with its wings. I think he looked that blind man in the eye--before spitting on the dust, making dirt, and spreading it over--and silently told him, "Courage. You will get through this. I am here. I, who am who am."

 That is what Jesus has said to me on many occasions, bless his sacred heart. 


And when he saw the crippled man who told Jesus that he could not get down to the Waters of Siloam in time to dip in and be healed, Jesus basically said, "Not a prob, dude. I am here. Take my hand."

 As the great Gospel hymn, "Take My Hand," written by the miraculous Tommy Dorsey said, "Take my hand, precious Lord, I am weak, I cannot stand," after the deaths of his family in the fire as well as the loss of his house.


 

Jeez. I got goosebumps all over. This is how to be a blessing, I think. Tell people about the times God took your hand, patted your shoulder, and told you--as God did after I shared my fear of death with her--"You are not made to last, Annie" (truth). How about the times God shored you up when you were falling--share those stories. Maybe you weren't healed in body. Maybe you couldn't walk again or had to use a cane. Maybe your eyesight suddenly decided to be shit-poor and stayed that way. Maybe your heart decided to go on a vacation with A-Fib or Congenital Heart Failure. But think (and I am not being a Pollyanna here): who made that eye? Who made that heart? Who do you think holds that heart in her warm, cupped hands? Who touches your eye with compassion, knowing your sadness, knowing that it is hard to feel disabled, or more disabled?

 Sometimes, we are not only blessings to others, which is my deep, profound hope, we are blessings to ourselves. Now, after writing this blog, my heart is full and is strengthened. I can see a path ahead. And--of course--this path has food on it, because ANY HEALING PATH has food on it, even if it is a can of spaghetti-o's heated up with love. 


(Maybe put in a dash of gochujang, some coriander, and a dash of vinegar...) I am planning meals for the week, a favorite past time; planning something to make for my second son who has some hard new health issues now.  Maybe I shall cook roasted salmon in mustard and keto maple syrup sauce over stir-fried veggies. How about some keto lemon bars, 'cause who doesn't need something sweet every now and then, especially after you have 3 doc appointments in one week?


 

OK, friends, that's it. Think about what you can do and say to spread blessings in your life. Pray on it, think on it, journal about it. Because that is why we are all here, to be blessings to each other in whatever ways we can.

Comments

  1. Amen to the ongoing struggle to offer support, not advice....!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts