SING A JOYFUL SONG

 Are you like me in wishing we were already past the damn election? And this from a broad who LOVES Fall: the drifting leaves, the intense red of the maples, the slow turning of oaks on the far ridge to a dull brown and gold, and the golden ferns waving beside the road. I remember the smell of burning leaves from the pile my Dad raked in our front yard, and then the big piles he left for us kids to jump into, shrieking with joy. Peter and I used to make outlines of rooms with leaves on the lawn, then making a bed to lie down on. Such joy!\


  As we near this crucial election, I am trying to find golden moments in each day, or as one person called them, "glimmers." We simply cannot go down the dark rabbit hole of despair and fear, esp. if the Orange Mango wins. 


We need to find ways to be grounded, to keep our spirits up, to be light for the world and to love our world, broken though it may seem at times. So what do I do to find glimmers in my day, to seek out joy?

 1/ Write a new blog, despite the time it takes with hunt and peck.   For you that might be typing and sending a cheery email to a friend, or better yet, to someone of different views. Doing something for others is always a glimmer for me.

2/ Put in the peppy-peppy DVD, as Char called it, and exercise indoors.  I did that this morning and it totally revved up my mood. I decided I needed to do more for others, signing up to bake some goodies for our church fundraiser. (Wish I could do lasagna, but that is beyond me until I get hand surgery.) 


 

 3/ Snuggle on the couch with your honey. Remember that human touch creates endorphins in your body, or, as a friend joked, "endolphins." Them too.

4/ Put a nature DVD on to watch, or find video clips on Instagram.  For me, just seeing the natural world soothes my anxious soul. This reminds me that we humans are not the only species on earth, that we are part of the wider world of gaia. I wish I could personally apologize to elephants for messing up their world.

5/ Take out your Bible and read Psalm 121. In fact, leaf through the Psalms looking for songs of joy, like Psalm 23. And if you do not have a Bible in your house (and why ever not?), you can download one on your computer. You do not have to be a believer to gain strength from the Psalms. 

6/ Cook.  There is something about assembling your ingredients on the counter which just calms me. There are the fire-roasted tomatoes, there is the jar of pickled jalapenos (easy girl!), there is the package of low-carb pasta, grated parm, spices, and fresh basil from the deck. Add some grass-fed beef if you wish or go crazy and make meatballs! Then sizzle up some EVOO in a good pan (I just got Green Cookware from Amazon to replace my scratched non-stick pans containing PFSAS), add smashed garlic, half a chopped red onion, 2 pickled bits of jalapeno, cook 5 min., add 14 oz. fire-roasted tomats, and cook for  20 min. Add spices at the end along with a dash of balsamic vinegar, and if you want to get fancy, throw in a dash of pomegranate molasses. Serve over low-carb pasta with grated parm on top and a big green salad on the side. Sounds good, don't it?


 

7/ Take your dog for a walk.  Talk about a glimmer! Our dog bounces around the living room, jumps on our legs, and just is the picture of joy. If you have a disabled hand without a thumb that works, as I do, and cannot fasten a leash on your dog's collar, get a "noose leash" from Amazon which just slips over the dog's head. Does not choke them.

8/ Another way to manage pre-election anxiety--stay away from the polls.  This suggestion comes from my brother Peter as to how he is trying to be calm. And to add to that, read a book which takes you to new information and wonderful places. For that I recommend the transformative book, An Immense World, by Ed Yong, which will show you how other species--equally valuable--perceive and navigate their world.

 

9/ Play some great music and get up and dance. You might prefer Huey Lewis and the News, Dave Matthews, or the Red Hot Chili Peppers, whatever works. Having recently become a Swiftie, I might listen to her "Shake It Off" to dance to.

 Did I forget anything? Maybe calling a dear friend just to hear the sound of their sweet voice. I think I forget to mention praying, as not everyone is as religious as I am. But prayer is a grand way to bring light into your heart.


 Heck, while I am at it, COME ON DOWN TO THE HAYDENVILLE UCC on Sundays at 10 for a fabulous worship service, wonderful music (thanks Mare and choir), amazing sermons from Pastor Mark, 


and a cozy, welcoming coffee hour after. You can wear a mask if you prefer. And we are one hell of a Trans and LGBTQA+  welcoming church. Come on down!

Comments

Popular Posts