COMFORT FOOD CENTRAL!

     Do you remember the comfort food your mom brought you when you were sick in bed, back in the day? I remember vanilla ice cream for sore throats; milk toast for when one was ill with just about anything; sherbert for sore throats; and popsicles. My poor mom. To think of her going up and down the stairs of that 1756 house, caring for--often--3 sick kids. Measles!!!

     So I am remembering all of this as I care for a beloved member of our family who is recovering from rather major surgery. The surgery went well (Praise God!), recovery is progressing, and this mom is speeding around the kitchen, whipping up delicious, nourishing, homemade meals for my loved one.

     First to come was a red pepper frittata the night of the day-surgery. I used only parmesan cheese in this, as my husband is lactose-intolerant, though the gruyere in my fridge kept calling to me: "Put me in too, I won't upset anyone, I promise!" But I withstood its blandishments and sauteed some chopped red onions and garlic, then poured in the frothed up 5 eggs with snipped basil (frozen from my deck garden last year, still good), salt and pepper, also a dash of hot sauce because we don't want food to be TOO bland. Then thrust under the broiler to melt cheese and finish t'job. Person recovering pronounced it "delicious", and I was happy.

     Day 2 after surgery: I made Roast Chicken with sliced potatoes, carrots, thyme, (or rosemary) and lots of fresh lemon juice, from "The Mediterranean-Diet Low-Fat Cookbook," which has scrumptious recipes in it. That went down well; and as my grown "kid" is a vegetarian, we have to be very careful about what food we serve. We made an exception on this day, when my loved one was not feeling fabulous and needed strength. 

   Also made Deviled Eggs, as I knew my adult "kid" loved them so. Remember to use equal amounts low-fat mayo and Greek Yogurt (I use full-fat here, about 1 tablespoon of each for 5 hard-boiled eggs), plus 1/2 tsp. of curry, salt & pepper, 1/2 tsp. grainy mustard, a dash of hot sauce, and a dash of balsamic vinegar in whipping up the filling. Alors!

    Day 3 after surgery:Mom is battling sore throat, but damn it, food prep must go on. I decided to make ratatouille and serve it on Polenta. I use grilled eggplant slices from River Valley Market, organic red peppers (1 chopped), 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped garlic cloves, 24 oz. of fire roasted tomatoes, fresh basil snipped in, 1/3 cup red wine, and some "tomato magic" from Paula Wolfort's Moroccan Cooking. Saute veggies up first; put to one side, salt and pepper, sprinkled with balsamic reduction; saute fire roasted tomatoes in pan, add tomato magic and red wine, simmer 10 min., then add veggies. Simmer 20 min and serve over polenta, which you have been preparing in the meantime.

Day 4 after surgery:
    These are the fudgy chocolate cookies I made which really help when recovering from awful procedures. Go sugar! And dark chocolate plus chocolate chips. Also came from gluten-free cookbook, and I can post on blog here when I have the time.

    Tonight Rick is on duty and will make grilled cheese sandwiches (I might have to caramelize some onions to put in) for supper with a simple salad.
   Man, it's exhausting being a parent sometimes, but it also is a time of great joy. And remember that Pope Francis spoke of parenting and caring for others as one path to holiness. I am well on my way to sainthood!  And I love having the 3 of us sitting around the table together, chatting desultorily, eating, and then resting. Family and food. Is there anything better?

Comments

Popular Posts