WHAT MAKES EVANGELICALS LIKE CONSERVATIVE CATHOLICS


I admit to not being an expert on religion. Hell, I'm not even an expert on MY religion, though I do read widely and deeply. But I've had a few things knocking around lately in my brain box, as the Regency nobs would call it, which I'd like to share with you.

First, let me confess that I am a HUGE fan of Pope Francis and the way he emphasizes mercy, compassion, reaching out to the margins, supporting the poor and disenfranchised, and reminding us that a clergy which fixates on rules and purity is not truly a Gospel church. Amen.

Secondly, remember that I was brought up an atheist (by loving and good parents), converted to Christianity in a St. Paul kind of way (minus the red cloak and falling off a horse) in Oxford, listening to Bach's "St. John's Passion" in Christ Church Cathedral. As I told a friend, "I walked in an atheist and came out a weeping believer." It does happen. I am living proof. Later, in a surprising move to me and my family, I came into the Catholic Church 16 years ago, drawn in by a marvelous priest, the beauty of the liturgy, the Eucharist, and the sacraments.

In recent years I have worried about how evangelical churches have hijacked Christianity and made it into a narrow religion that is: homophobic, white, not supportive of same-sex marriage (see "homophobic"), not always welcoming of refugees, supporters of right-wing Republicans, and more.  If you read the news you will know that Trump's base of evangelical support holds firm, no matter his sins or the horrors of this man and his presidency. Don't get me started.

At the same time, I have seen right-wing Catholics line up against Pope Francis and display many of the same worrying characteristics as Evangelicals. As in:

--homophobic (did the Pope really say "Who am I to judge?"??)-
--unsupportive of same-sex unions--
--displaying a lamentable ignorance about sexual orientation--
--lining up behind right-wing Republicans (see Bannon who wants to bring down Pope Francis), & 54% of white women voted for Trump--
--fans of a "smaller, purer church"--
--harkening back to the "good old days" of the Latin Mass with the priest facing East (see Cardinal Sarah), frequent Confession, and hewing to the letter of the law in the Magisterium & Catechism--
--and more. *sigh*

I recently heard a Mass where the priest, who I think is a conservative JP2 & Benedict follower, talked mainly about priestly functions, how they lead, and very little about "the sheep," i.e., us lay people. I admit to swearing under my breath during Mass, hoping to get through it without walking out (Dare I look at my iPhone, what if I read ahead in the Missal, how about I silently text my son?). Once in the car, my husband had to turn on the air conditioner as I was burning up.

I have read that some of the newer priests, I am sure not all, coming out of seminary tend to be on the more conservative side. (A few of my seasoned, older priest friends confirm this trend.) If true, I mourn this and think it a huge mistake for--if people really want to "grow" our church--going back to the Latin Mass, hewing to strict rules and regs, is just not the way to stop the arterial bleed of people in the pews. Ross Douthat, the N.Y. Times columnist, is sadly part of this, and his recent book which states that Pope Francis may cause a schism, was shredded by Michael Winters in a recent NCR.)  We are losing so many young people from the Catholic Church, who have expressed regret that we are so unwelcoming to the LGBTQ community. There are exceptions, of course, and Fr. James Martin's book, "Building a Bridge," is helpful, although nowhere near as radical as his critics would have us believe.

So--in an inelegant and roundabout way I want to say--GET A GRIP, GUYS!!!  Open the doors to folks who are different. Reach out to the LGBTQ community. Step away from Trump. Stop waving the rule books in our faces 'cause ya know what? This Catholic broad is going to find it hard to stay within the fold if this is the direction we are moving in.  Anyone for starting a House Church???

Comments

  1. I hope you are wrong about the conservative/reactionaries taking over the Church. If you are right we will have to gather in small pro Francis groups of the kind recommended by the Brazilian revolutionary theologian whose name I have forgotten.

    I was disappointed that I could not make it to the new bishops “listening session” in Northampton last month.
    Of coarse I could be flee to Unitarianism or Anglicanism, but it is in my nature to stand up and fight. I give money to Voice of the faithful and Call to Action, but would rather follow the redheaded prophetess of Williamsburg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think that the right-wing Catholics are taking over the church, Mario. They protesteth loudly and cause a lot of trouble. Apparently, they are far stronger in this country than in Europe or elsewhere. We are divisive socially, culturally, and in our religions. Absolutely. Stand up and fight. Only way to proceed!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts