WICKED GOOD MOROCCAN CHICKEN


Ok, it's been a little while since I last posted with, "Why I Stay In the Catholic Church," and to say that these are the times that try men & women's souls, would not be an exaggeration. I am reading all my Catholic outlets obsessively--La Croix International, America Magazine, Commonweal Magazine articles when posted on FB, Angelus, and, Oh God, did I forget anything? Sigh.

But this is a posting about ANNIE'S FOOD! Not about religion and the abject failure of the C.C. to care for the most vulnerable. I just made Spicy Moroccan Chicken, adapting a recipe I found from Linley Richter on Instant Pot recipes, featuring a tie-in with Whole Foods. Disclaimer:
--I did not use my new Instant Pot from Amazon.

--I am returning it for many reasons, mostly because I still have chemo brain and I think this is too complicated.
--I am seriously disgusted with Amazon & their Amazon Prime Card. DO NOT subscribe to this. It is a schill.
But that's another story. Here's the recipe I used and adapted:

Ingredients:
--3 organic chicken thighs, boned
--1 medium yellow onion, sliced thinly lengthwise
--2 garlic cloves, chopped or squeezed through presser
--1/2 cup chopped green olives (I used Sicilian)
--1/4 cup chopped preserved lemons (I used Eva Kosmas Flores' recipe from "First We Eat" to make my own, using a vanilla pod for extra flavor, and they are truly $$$)
--1/2 cup organic Better Than Bouillon chicken broth
--4 tablespoons EVOO

Spices:
--1 tablespoon organic cumin
--1 tsp. organic tumeric
--1 tsp. ginger powder
--1/2 tablespoon  chili powder
--1/2 tsp. adobe chili powder or cayenne powder (I had none)
--1/2 tsp. flaky sea salt or more to taste
--grindings of fresh black pepper
--pinch of Harissa powder ( about 1/4-1/2 tsp)
Mix all spices thoroughly in a bowl.

Assemble Recipe:
1/ Dip chicken thighs in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a bowl.
2/ Transfer to clean cutting board.
4/ Rub spice mixture on both sides of chicken and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
5/ Take out tagine or other heavy pot, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO in it, and saute sliced onions first.
6/ After 10+ min. or so, add chicken thighs, SKIN SIDE down.
7/ Saute 5 min. this side, then turn and saute on other side.
8/ Add garlic cloves and stir for 2 min.
9/ Then add 1/2 chicken broth, 1/2 cup chopped green olives, sea salt, pepper, and chopped preserved lemon.
10/ Put top on tagine (or heavy pot) and cook 15 min. Uncover, and flip chicken pieces to other side. Cook another 5 minutes.
11/ While cooking at end, add boiling water to couscous, take off heat, add lemon peel, and cover for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.


Serve:
--over couscous with shredded lemon peel, and a side salad.


ENJOY! My husband prefers a red wine to go with this, such as Malbec, I prefer a crisp Chardonnay, like Toasted Head.




Comments

Popular Posts