CATHOLIC BROAD GETS MERRY WITH SPICY CHILI!


I don't know about you--you could be the roast Turkey, gravy, stuffing, and mashed potatoes kind of person--but for me a cold Christmas at my brother's house calls for hot chili. Both in temperature and in spice. Here is the recipe I have used countless times--it is vegetarian, has lots of loopholes and places to change things up--but is startlingly delicious. Serves around 12-14, isn't hard to make, and can be frozen. What else can we ask for? Besides a sane president, health care, attacking climate change, welcoming refugees--yeah, like that. Oh, also add on: fix jiggly thighs and arms.
This was called, "The Good Health Food Guide," probably from some long-lost Family Circle over 30 years ago. Really.
So--assemble the ingredients as shown in photo above and in list below.

     INGREDIENTS

--2 tablespoons EVOO
--one and 1/2 cups chopped red pepper (can use green if prefer)
--1 cup chopped onion
--3 cloves garlic, minced
--2 28-oz. cans chopped tomatoes
--3 16-oz. cans red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
--1/2 cup raisins (my honey does not love this part)
--1/4 cup wine vinegar or balsamic, I use
--1-2 tablespoons chili powder (think of adobe chili powder)
--1 tablespoon chopped parsley
--1 and 1/2 tsp. dried basil (or fresh if have it, increase then)
--1 and 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
--1 and 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
--1 tsp. ground allspice
--1/4 tsp. pepper
--1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce (I use more)
--1 bay leaf

     TO MAKE:
1/ Heat oil in 4 and 1/2 quart Dutch oven or larger if you have it; add pepper, onion, garlic, and cook, stirring, until they soften but not blacken.

2/ Stir in undrained tomatoes, drained beans, raisins, vinegar, chili powder, parsley, sprinkle of salt, basil & oregano, cumin, allspice, pepper sauce, and bay leaf.
3/ Bring to boil, lower to simmer, & cook covered, for 1 and 1/2 hours.

N.B.: I almost always add about a 1/2 cup of good tomato sauce, plus a small can of tomato paste. Always throw in some Balsamic Reduction, as it makes anything--except for wine and chocolate and oatmeal--taste better.

Cannot upload photo of my SECRET INGREDIENT (sigh), which is: home-grown Roma tomatoes sun dried in olive oil. Take out good handful (maybe 1/2 cup), rinse in hot water, slice in half, and add. And don't forget Louisiana Hot Sauce. First taste for spiciness, and if need more, throw in 1-2 tsp. of this hot sauce. Crystal!

4/ Once done, you can stir in 1 and 1/2 cups beer and 3/4 cup cashew nuts. Simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes more or omit this piece.

5/ Serve over rice if wish, or with taco chips circling the helping, which I did with my kids to get them to eat it. Sprinkle with cheese.

I often just make half of this recipe, as it is huge, or make whole shebang and freeze half for those nights when you are beyond hope.

What else to bring to the family gathering, which will be about 12 people? I originally had some nifty-looking coconut macaroons (vegan) dipped in dark chocolate, but I have to tell ya', they were a total fail. I mean, Rick and I are eating the CRUMBLED macaroons with dark choc dribbled over them, but not the same. If you want to make, do not do vegan--add an egg to make the macaroons cohesive. Instead, I am making a whipped feta dip with herbs, shredded lemon, a dash of Greek yogurt and olive oil, plus black pepper. Yummy, huh? Check Pinterest for the recipe.



So why am I still waking up at 4 in the morning (anything with a 4 in it is dismal) worrying? I fret about climate change; my middle squeezes in when I contemplate Trump; I mourn that little girl, Jakelin, who died in custody at the border, and now an 8 year-old boy; I lift friends with cancer in prayer (damn all too many); I pray for forgiveness to break out across my whole family; I fret about the Arctic ice shelf and marine animals; etc. etc. If you like to wake early and worry about things, just let me know. I have many more options hidden in a crumpled soggy kleenex by my side of the bed. 

But Desmond Tutu, whom I revere, said that if we just do several small good things, they add up and become a bigger good thing, which in the end, may help change the world. 

On to taking disposable diapers and wipes to the Survival Center (have to have these if working parents with kids in Day Care); rice and beans, peanut butter; personal care products; and more to help people trying to get through the holidays.

We shall survive this, I really do hope. And in the meantime, join up with your peeps and family, lift a glass (if you drink), exchange tiny presents, tell bad jokes, and celebrate!!!


Comments

Popular Posts