ODE TO COOKING IN PAJAMAS


  I am not sure if I have ever seen an ode to "Cooking In Pajamas." There should be one, don't you think? For me, one of the greatest pleasures at home (in my incredible new kitchen) is to stay in my PJs until noon, when I can segue into loose, floppy pants that could actually double as PJs. Same for the top.

But yesterday, I awoke full of ambition, zest, and friskiness. Two dear friends were coming to dinner (one, who has shared his cancer journey with me as I have shared mine with him), and I wanted it to be special, Christmassy and festive. I downloaded a Pinterest recipe I had been wanting to try for months: puff pastry with brie cheese, cranberry compote, and some rosemary on top. How good is that? Doesn't it just make you get all excited and ready to rock n' roll?

I shopped at the Organic Market the previous day, so had my non-gluten puff pastry (only kind they had there), cranberries,  expensive organic chicken, and organic carrots and potatoes.

After preheating the oven to 375 for the appetizers, I defrosted the puff pastry on a cooling rack. I admit I had NEVER cooked with puff pastry before, but I yearned to. Kind of like I yearn for a better president, a cooler environment, and living forever. I then washed 1 cup of fresh cranberries and dumped them in a medium pot, adding 1/3 cup water and about 1/4 cup sugar, cooking them over medium heat for around 20 minutes until they jelled. Moved the pot to back of stove to cool.

I got out my creamy cheese--which actually was not Brie, 'cause I forgot--but something like "Bergamet" creamy cheese. I laboriously clipped off 24 large rosemary leaves from my house plant to use as a garnish.  Slicing the cheese into 1/2"thick lengths, I cut these crosswise into 1/2" pieces. Once the pastry was defrosted (test by gently pressing finger into dough), I cut each section (there are 2) lengthwise into three, then crosswise four times=12 small pieces. (My brain was smoking by then!)

Gently pressing each bit of pastry into a greased mini muffin tin, I wound up with 24 lovely pastry hollows. Cheese goes next on top, then a tsp. of cranberry mix, and finally a needle of rosemary. Put in 375 degree oven, and cook 20 min. until pastry is brown. Cool. Can be served either cool or warm, but best warm. "Amazing." "Delicious." "Wow!" "Sweet and savory," were some of the comments.

A good meal has to be sandwiched between  a fabulous appetizer (can just be great olives and cheese and crackers) and a yummy desert. Here's what I did, still in PJs yesterday morning, with cups of tea and coffee to keep up my mo. This recipe is probably 30 years old or more, cut out from "Family Circle" I believe. Take:
--1/3 cup Dutch cocoa
--1/3 cup granulated sugar
--2 cups low-fat milk (I use 2%) mixed with 3 tablespoons Cornstarch.


Over medium heat, stir together the cocoa, sugar, and milk, whisking vigorously as it heats and begins to thicken. Once thick, cool on back of stove. When ready, fold in: 1 whole container of low-fat Cool Whip, plus 1 tsp. of vanilla extract. Sprinkle shredded unsweetened coconut over top and grate dark chocolate over it. Cool in fridge. Serve with canned whipped cream if you wish. My friend said, "Are you sure this isn't chocolate mousse?" It wasn't, but it sure was as rich and creamy as one.

And in between?  I cooked "Roast Chicken With Potatoes & Lemon," from "The Low Fat Mediterranean Diet," ed. Anne Sheasby. Has fresh lemon juice poured over chicken and potatoes in chunks (I add lengths of carrot for a one-pot meal), EVOO, fresh thyme, salt & pepper, and 1 and 1/2 cups stock in pan. Starts out at 400 degrees, upside down, for 30 min.; remove from oven, reduce heat to 350, & turn bird over, sprinkle with more olive oil, fresh thyme, salt & pepper: roast another 60-70. Simple, delicious & tender. An entire meal in one pot!

So that's how I spent my day, except for kicking dust bunnies under the couch, sweeping the kitchen tiles of white dog hair, scrolling through FB to answer my AF buddies, and greeting my dear friends at the door.


Comments

Popular Posts