PRAYING WHILE PEEING

 I realize that this may not resonate with all of you, but I bet it will with some.  As a famous late-night comedian--Stephen Colbert--has confessed to reading Scripture while on the pot, I think--if he can do it, surely humble, non-famous me too.


 

 This is how I organize things in the Necessary Room, as it used to be called, or the Jakes, back in the 18th century or so. I get "Living With Christ" by subscription, and have that handy in the downstairs john. Depending on how long my visit will be, I open it to the day and read: The Collect (how the church gathers us together for worship), the first reading from the Hebrew Scriptures (We are in Genesis now if you are Catholic and thank God the world is FINALLY created and God made a hot cup of organic macha, put on her purple robes, and rested.), then a Psalm, and the 3rd reading is the Gospel. On Holy Days and Sundays you get a fourth reading,  from Paul's letters.


 You can see that on Holy Days I may be spending big amounts of time in the Necessary Room. Somehow it just feels right--I am being very incarnational at the same time I am reading about the Incarnation, and maybe sending up a prayer for a loved one or someone I know who is ill.

Then, coffee in hand, I meander over to the green couch, now set up so I can see the fireplace at last, instead of it being blocked by a bookcase. We have a ton of bookcases and books. What can I tell you? We were English Majors! Then I open the day's readings in "Give Us This Day,"


which is my favorite, as there are wonderful line drawings in it as well as thoughtful reflections by theologians, priests, sisters, lay people, writers, and more. I might send up another few prayers to people who need them, and I write them down in my Prayer Journal which contains: space for a Scripture Quote, what I would like God to help me with (Is there anything I DON'T want her to help me with?), space for Gratitudes, and then Prayers for those who need them, which includes just about everyone I know.

I try to do some work at my desk each day, but I am not always successful. When I take a pee break upstairs, I open my copy of the month of Magnificat, which has marvelous religious art at the end, many articles, hymns, reflections, and more.


 

 I do find, being a Progressive Christian, that this booklet is often too conservative for me, but because it also educates me, I keep with it. And--this is another occasion for praying while peeing. 

By the end of the day, you can see that I have sent up or out many many prayers. I also have visited the Jakes many many times because, what can I tell ya? Two cups of tea and coffee make this a necessity, and I am closing in fast on the term, "Older Broad." (I am reserving the term "elderly" until I am 82.)

I also pray at rest time, usually the Rosary, and at bedtimes, when I often feel God near, like a warm, cozy blanket spread over me. I have a conversation with Her about my day, and we share concerns, joys, and things I need to work on. Each day is an ongoing conversation with God who walks with me. And if you have not seen this as yet, run down to your Independent Bookstore and purchase, 


"Learning To Pray," by my favorite Jesuit, Fr. James Martin. He speaks of 3 main types of prayer: intercession, conversation, and a mystical experience.


 I have had them all, as I bet you have too. He also runs a book discussion group on this every Friday at 4:00. Worth checking out!


n.b.--Feel free to leave a comment. I have to vet it first as admin of this site, but almost always will get it posted.

Comments

Popular Posts