LIVING IS NOT FOR THE FAINT-HEARTED

 

   As my husband once said, however, "Consider the alternative." That being death. Or, we might want to choose between "cake or death," as Eddie Izzard once famously said.


 

 But having reached the ripe age (how is it ripe, anyway? Where did this come from?) of 76, I definitely am staring mortality in the mirror, beside my wrinkled face. Here is the thing, however, which many wiser than I have pointed out: It is only by facing our mortality that we can truly live.

  How does one do this? How do I do this?

--Cooking: Ya know that any post has to include food and cooking, since I first discovered the wonders of food with my then Russian boyfriend at Bates, eating Coquilles St. Jacques at a restaurant. Food energizes us. It delights us. It reminds us of how damn wonderful life is. And my own spicy vegetarian chili really boosts one's soul power!



--Watching Birds: I have a window bird feeder where I put bluebird suet nuggets from Amazon. I know. We should not order anything from this place, but it is the only store which carries this. Bluebirds have the most astonishing, rufous breast and bright blue back, the males anyway. They come to the mealworms I scatter on a small table on our deck just for them. Then I put steaming hot water in the bird bath, because they come to this as well, sitting on the edges and chatting, I imagine, saying, "Thank you, Annie Turner, for creating this jacuzzi!' They seem so joyful, and this gives me joy.


 

--Staying In Touch: with friends and family. One brother of mine refuses to do FaceBook, which I totally understand, thinking that it contributed to Trump's win in 2016. I am sure this is true, just as I know FB shares terrible misinformation about everything. BUT--through this compromised social media outlet, I can see pictures of my cousins and one's new baby; I see wonderful pictures from the Middle Ages which delight my heart; I see paintings by Cezanne and others; I find old college friends there; I also see funny videos of cats and dogs. FB also has donating sites for political candidates whom I support, like Val Demmings in Florida. So this is all to the good, IMHO.


 

--Heaving Beloved Voices:  If I talk to one of my sons, my heart lifts up, literally. I think I can feel it slowing and becoming calmer with this dear voice coming through my phone, now that we no longer have a land line.


 

--Reading Daily Meditations: of Fr. Richard Rohr, which remind me to slow down, breathe, connect with the Holy One, and practice RAIN--a meditation where we "Recognize, Accept, Investigate, and Nourish" whatever emotions we are feeling. Very useful I find.

--Reading Daily Readings: in Scripture which uphold my soul, remind me of whence I came and where I am going. There is so much wisdom here, and I am sorely in need of wisdom to keep my feet walking steadily towards the threshold to the next life. God told me once in prayer, "It is not a door, Annie, it is a threshold." Make of that what you will! I am still chewing on this. 


 

 So these are a few suggestions for walking on this bumpy, rocky path--full of tragedy, loss, joy, and wonder--in a way that sustains and helps us to keep moving forward. I hope these are helpful for you as they have been more me. 

Comments

  1. As always Annie, in expressing your thoughts and reflections on life so aptly, you enrich the lives of your readers in the process! Thank you dear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts