WHO KNEW? UNANSWERED QUESTIONS.

  There are so many questions I have about life and our world, but given the time frame here, I will only discuss a few, ranging from slightly erotic to faith-based.

 Now I have your attention, the slightly erotic one concerns the former movie star, Mickey Rooney, who starred as a young actor in many films, and then later on in adult films. He had 8 wives,


 and apparently was very good in bed. WHO KNEW? That was a big surprise to me. And as an add-on, I always think of Mickey Rooney playing a former jockey in "Black Stallion," showing the young boy how to ride a race horse:


 "You give it away, give it away," he said,  pushing his arms out in front. I think Richard Rohr would like that as we all settle, sometimes uneasily, into our 70s.

  The next question I have concerns the Feeding of the 4,000 by Jesus where he preached to the crowds (I love how this tally, sometimes also at 5,000, only includes men) about the good news. And when his disciples wonder how this huge crowd could be fed,


 worrying they would faint on the way home, Jesus asked how much food they had. "Five barley loaves and one fish," they answered. He blessed the food, gave it to them ("take, bless, break, five"), and it fed everyone in groups of 50, with 12 wicker baskets left, filled with fragments. HUH? WHO KNEW? 


Where in heck did those wicker baskets come from? Another Biblical mystery among so many others.

 Recently on FB I saw a picture of a "Swaddled Baby Tulip" (or was it a Lily?) which showed the interior of the bloom looking just like a tiny, yellow baby wrapped in a blanket.


WHO KNEW? I had never heard of or seen this flower, but was gobsmacked to view it. It must have some evolutionary advantage in attracting a certain kind of insect.

And the last thing I noticed in the things I never knew concerns Albrecht Durer. I had always been familiar with his etchings and graphic prints of the rabbit, of praying hands, a self-portrait, and many other linear works of art. But recently, on FB, I saw an astonishing watercolor and pencil art work of green plants growing upwards. It was so subtly beautiful and unusual.


 WHO KNEW he did watercolors?

 And those are the current sum of my gobsmacked moments. I suspect you have your own surprises, unanswered questions, and moments of wonder about this world and the next. In fact, the entire world--plant roots connecting beneath the surface of the soil, fungus helping trees to survive, our own veins being denditric, the whole, astonishing wonder of our bodies which continue to pump blood, breathe oxygen, and so much more, because--"I will praise you God, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made."

Comments

  1. yes, always astonishing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. trying again. Yes!! Always astonishing. And hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check out the monkey orchid.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts