WHY I KEEP ON WAVING

  My husband always tells me, "No sense in waving to the 'gloomy ones' as they never wave back." He refers to a couple who live several miles downhill from us, who walk briskly up our road each morning. And every day, when we are tooling past in our Subaru to some damn medical appointment (my only socializing these days), I wave to them. They keep their heads facing downwards and never return my salutation.


 

  Why do I do it when each time I am rejected? I do it because Jesus would keep on waving even at people who refused to look up, did not see him, and did not accept the loving warmth given out. That is why.

  Another reason is that scientific research has shown that small interactions with other people have a wonderful effect on our mental health and on theirs. 


That is why whenever I check in to a medical appointment (oh, how many!), I always chat the receptionist up. "How's your day going?" They might respond, "Cold, it was so cold when I got up!" And I would reply, "I know, winter, right? And darkness my old friend comes WAY too early for me." "You got that right, sister!" they might say.

  At the RMV yesterday (Hey, it wasn't medical!!!), I chatted up the woman behind the counter.


"How's your day going?" always my opening gambit. Then I had to have a vision test (pretty preliminary I would say) and get my picture taken for my new license, as the last one had a very glamorous pic of Annie taken about 20 years ago. This one has my glasses, wispy hair (am I going bald on top? I fear so.), cargo jacket, and a strong sense of--"What the hell?" I don't really care that much anymore, although I, like a good friend, never leave the house without mascara on, concealer, and lipstick.

  I joked with the RMV woman that the reason I was a bit scattered was, "I haven't had my coffee yet." "Yes!" She laughed. "I haven't either." '"And don't forget the jelly donut," I said as I went out the door.

  And here's the thing: I often pray to God to show me the way to be a light in the world, to serve her, and to help others. 


YOU may be the only light in someone's day when you ask how they are doing, or comment on the wonderful jewelry they are wearing. (A good opening gambit for me to use. "Wow, I love that necklace! Where did you get it?" Then a conversation about jewelry happens which lightens both of our days.)

   At a recent appointment with my PA, I had to have an EKG, which was done by a wonderful, chatty Latina woman. 


Of course, the machine didn't work at first, so we had to talk about the failure of machines which happens daily. Then we got talking about her family, kids, and husband. Her kids ranged from 16 to 6. By then I felt safe enough to joke, "Good spacing, honey!" When I noticed it was the end of the day for her, I commiserated that it must be hard to rush home, get dinner for everyone, and all this after a day of work. I hope I was a small glimmer of light for her at the close of her day.

  As St. Francis said many many centuries ago (alive in 1236), "Preach the gospel and if necessary, use words." I believe he also said something like, "You may be the only gospel a person sees." 


So, my beloved peeps: go out and preach the gospel of love and light by chatting up servers, remarking on what a good job someone has done for you, and sympathizing with them. God is taking this all down in her large notebook, be assured, and once you pass, she will start flipping through saying, "Mmmm, that coffee barista was really helped by your comforting words."  And, "That medical receptionist's mood soared after you shared a joke with him." It's all there, written down. Now, get busy! 

Comments

  1. Nice piece, Annie. I have an anthropologist friend who uses a techincal term for this type of communication --phatic communication.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts